I was looking through my list of post ideas the other day and saw that note about the basil/lime cocktail that had escaped my memory last year. This time instead of racking my brain to resurrect the lost, I looked to it for inspiration. It then took only a few minutes to hit me. One of my favorite infused water recipes uses basil, mint, cucumber and lemon. Well, why not swap cucumber for cucumber vodka (which I already have in my cupboard) and make a simple syrup out of the rest and top it off with club soda? I just had to try it…
…Fast forward a week…
It took a bit of playing with the ratios, but I did come up with something that was cool and refreshing and a perfect complement to the 111 degree desert that was Phoenix yesterday. Even my dad, who doesn’t like cucumbers, thought it was nice. The basil presence was quite mild so I do recommend rimming the glass with the basil-sugar mixture outlined below. I didn’t think of it until I was writing this up so I haven’t tried it. Please feel free to leave me your thoughts.
Well, here we go The Minted Cucumber Refresher.
Basil/Mint Simple Syrup:
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup water
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup fresh basil – loosely packed
¼ cup fresh mint leaves – loosely packed
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and boil for 1 minute – be sure the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, basil, and mint. Cover the saucepan and allow to steep until cooled.
- Strain syrup into a sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use.
1 ½ oz cucumber vodka
1 ½ oz basil/mint simple syrup
¾-1 cup club soda
- Before filling the glass, mix equal parts of minced basil leaves and granulated sugar.
- Pour the sugar mixture onto a plate or wide-enough-for-the-rim-of-your-glass bowl.
- Rub the rim of the glass with lemon juice then coat with the basil sugar mixture by inverting the glass into the plate/bowl of basil sugar. Continue making the cocktail as directed.
- Mix vodka and syrup in a highball glass along with a few ice cubes. Then top off the glass with club soda and stir gently. Enjoy.
From my little corner of the world, thanks for reading and happy eating.
Caffeter, the Milkmaid